Vegan New Yorker Sandwich
I absolutely love sandwiches and will put anything between two pieces of bread…I may have an addiction. New York knows how to do a sandwich. Toppings piled high between 2 pieces of fabulous bread. My favourites are sourdough, rye and any kind of bagel. I’ve been to New York a couple of times. It’s such a great city. There is so much going on all the time. Amazing food, brilliant cultural activities and lovely parks to spend the day strolling.
The last time I was there, Ben and I found our favourite deli. Every morning we would head to the Amsterdam deli before starting out on the cultural trail. Starting your day off with a huge veggie sandwich, piled high and saucy with mustard is the way to go.
This week I’m focusing on handheld food. My last post was my Pickled Vegetable Sandwich, which is an homage to the Vietnamese banh mi sandwich. This week is my homage to New York City with my Vegan New Yorker Sandwich. Beautiful seeded bread, vegan mayo and mustard spread, beets, spinach, vegan cheese and pickles!!! Ahhh it’s so tasty. All the flavours come together and are really balanced. It’s got everything you want in a sandwich.
What’s your favourite sandwich?
Vegan New Yorker SandwichPrint Recipe
- 4 pieces of seeded loaf bread, sliced (you can use any bread you have, even gluten free)
- 1 tablespoon vegan mayonaise
- 2 teaspoons whole grain mustard
- 2 handfuls baby spinach
- 2 cooked beets, thinly sliced and marinated in 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper to taste
- a few slices of vegan cheese (I used Wensleydale with cranberries, but you can use any)
- 4 medium sized pickles, thinly sliced
Mix together the vegan mayo and mustard and spread 1/4 of it on each slice of bread.
Place the spinach, beets, cheese and pickles onto the bread.
Cover with another piece of bread that has been spread with the vegan mayo and mustard mixture.